Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Naked!


Yay! I am getting a new phone... So I won't feel naked anymore. Yes, I said it. Naked. Do you ever feel lost when you don't have something that you're used to having? For example: when I don't wear my rings (only while doing dishes and showering), I feel naked; when I don't carry a purse, I feel naked; when I have no make-up on, I feel naked; when I don't have the kids with me, I feel naked...etc. etc. etc. I've also wondered if these things that "cover" me are too important in my life. Why in the world should I be so dependent on my make-up, cellphone, and purse? I feel like, many times, I focus on all the wrong things in my life. Why can't I focus more on my relationship with God, my family, my kids, or my friends? Why must THINGS be so important to me? I know, I know, that's the way of the world, but I should be living in the world... I shouldn't be of the world.

I wonder if this is how Adam and Eve felt? Life was so perfect for them; they had it all! They didn't have to worry about what they looked like, they ran around naked, they ate what they wanted, they were P E R F E C T. And then one THING got in the way of their perfect situation and covered their lives with sin.

I have way more than one thing that is covering my life with sin... Maybe I need to re-think what makes me feel clothed and throw out the things that make me feel naked?

How about you? What makes you feel naked?

12 comments:

Blended in Texas said...

Same stuff- no makeup- especially mascara, no cell phone, no kids, no rings, no underwear (ha,ha...not really...), camera, purse, ect. I went without my cell for three WHOLE days and I thought I'd lose my mind! Luckily, my hubby brought home a new Crazer for me last night (YA!). I'm a 'whole' person again! So totally know how you feel! We do become dependent on stuff don't we? Glad you're getting a new cell phone! Hurray, for technology! ;)

Kellan said...

Yep, me too - definitely feel naked without make-up!! I think you are right, we put far to much emphasis on material and external things - I know I often do.

Have a good day Brittany - great post. See you soon. Kellan

KG said...

Buy an iphone! I love mine.

kim said...

Such a though provoking post, Brittany. I'm at a time in my life where almost nothing makes me feel "naked." Though, I suppose if I wore jeans or shorts in church... that would probably make me feel pretty self-conscious - even though everyone seems to do it.

jennwa said...

That is a great post for making me think about the things that are really important in my life.
I feel naked if I go out without my kids. That is strange but true.

Homegrown Tribe said...

What a great post Brittany! I really dealt with a lot of this over the past year. It was such a relief to be rid of all or most of my self/materialist burdens. It wasn't easy but God did good. :) I'll pray for you.

And we NEED to get together soon. Maybe next week??

Melissa said...

That cartoon cracked me up!!!!!!

Blueberry said...

you know what, i really don't have that much that i would feel "naked" without! i never wear make-up (weird, i know!) and i often forget to take my cell phone when i leave the house! i guess the only thing i could say that about is my wedding ring since i NEVER take it off, not even for doing dishes.

Christina said...

Very great, thoughtful post! I'm like Carey, though - rarely wear makeup, don't even have a cell phone. But, I guess I feel naked without my camera. ;o)

Kat said...

I feel naked when I'm not wearing clothes.
Hilarious cartoon. Love it!
I feel really bare when I'm not wearing makeup. I am always wearing makeup. I just feel gross without it. Plus, I don't want to scare anyone.

Sassy said...

Well, we live in new construction, so when I walk outside and all the trades are standing around, YEAH, that is pretty much when I feel naked (or undressed).

Anonymous said...

I don't tend to wear make-up or carry a bag and forget my phone most of the time, guess it would be not having the kids with me. That always feels so strange