Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Naked!


Yay! I am getting a new phone... So I won't feel naked anymore. Yes, I said it. Naked. Do you ever feel lost when you don't have something that you're used to having? For example: when I don't wear my rings (only while doing dishes and showering), I feel naked; when I don't carry a purse, I feel naked; when I have no make-up on, I feel naked; when I don't have the kids with me, I feel naked...etc. etc. etc. I've also wondered if these things that "cover" me are too important in my life. Why in the world should I be so dependent on my make-up, cellphone, and purse? I feel like, many times, I focus on all the wrong things in my life. Why can't I focus more on my relationship with God, my family, my kids, or my friends? Why must THINGS be so important to me? I know, I know, that's the way of the world, but I should be living in the world... I shouldn't be of the world.

I wonder if this is how Adam and Eve felt? Life was so perfect for them; they had it all! They didn't have to worry about what they looked like, they ran around naked, they ate what they wanted, they were P E R F E C T. And then one THING got in the way of their perfect situation and covered their lives with sin.

I have way more than one thing that is covering my life with sin... Maybe I need to re-think what makes me feel clothed and throw out the things that make me feel naked?

How about you? What makes you feel naked?

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Same stuff- no makeup- especially mascara, no cell phone, no kids, no rings, no underwear (ha,ha...not really...), camera, purse, ect. I went without my cell for three WHOLE days and I thought I'd lose my mind! Luckily, my hubby brought home a new Crazer for me last night (YA!). I'm a 'whole' person again! So totally know how you feel! We do become dependent on stuff don't we? Glad you're getting a new cell phone! Hurray, for technology! ;)

Kellan said...

Yep, me too - definitely feel naked without make-up!! I think you are right, we put far to much emphasis on material and external things - I know I often do.

Have a good day Brittany - great post. See you soon. Kellan

Law Student Hot Mama said...

Buy an iphone! I love mine.

kim said...

Such a though provoking post, Brittany. I'm at a time in my life where almost nothing makes me feel "naked." Though, I suppose if I wore jeans or shorts in church... that would probably make me feel pretty self-conscious - even though everyone seems to do it.

jennwa said...

That is a great post for making me think about the things that are really important in my life.
I feel naked if I go out without my kids. That is strange but true.

4 Little Men said...

What a great post Brittany! I really dealt with a lot of this over the past year. It was such a relief to be rid of all or most of my self/materialist burdens. It wasn't easy but God did good. :) I'll pray for you.

And we NEED to get together soon. Maybe next week??

Teachin' this mommy new tricks! said...

That cartoon cracked me up!!!!!!

Blueberry and the Bean said...

you know what, i really don't have that much that i would feel "naked" without! i never wear make-up (weird, i know!) and i often forget to take my cell phone when i leave the house! i guess the only thing i could say that about is my wedding ring since i NEVER take it off, not even for doing dishes.

Christina said...

Very great, thoughtful post! I'm like Carey, though - rarely wear makeup, don't even have a cell phone. But, I guess I feel naked without my camera. ;o)

Kathryn said...

I feel naked when I'm not wearing clothes.
Hilarious cartoon. Love it!
I feel really bare when I'm not wearing makeup. I am always wearing makeup. I just feel gross without it. Plus, I don't want to scare anyone.

Sassy said...

Well, we live in new construction, so when I walk outside and all the trades are standing around, YEAH, that is pretty much when I feel naked (or undressed).

Laura McIntyre said...

I don't tend to wear make-up or carry a bag and forget my phone most of the time, guess it would be not having the kids with me. That always feels so strange