Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Taco Tuesday



I came up with this recipe all on my own! I am so proud of myself. I am not one who likes fish, but for some reason fish tacos sounded really good to me, and I came up with a winner of a recipe! enjoy!!

Fish Stick Taco

Serving Size 4

Ingredients

12 Frozen Fish Sticks (cooked according to package)

1 cup of homemade "tartar" sauce dressing

1 cup mayo or miracle whip
1 whole onion (fine chopped- I put mine in the food processor)
1/4 cup (or more according to taste) lemon juice- FRESH!
salt and pepper if desired (I did not add this)

1 cup Pico De Gallo (store bought or recipe bellow)

Just mix ingredients below, and refrigerate:

1 large can of diced tomatoes (half of the juice reserved)
4 green onions (chopped-whole onion)
1 jalapeno (diced VERY small- remove more of the seeds and pith if you want less heat)
Chopped cilantro (to taste- I used about 4 tbls. chopped)
salt and pepper (also to taste)

1 whole yellow pepper
2 tbls lime juice
2 tbls butter (not salt free)

4 Pitas (use THICK pita bread! Don't get the cheap thin bread)
Lettuce (about 1 cup chopped)

Optional toppings:
Cheese (I used Kraft Mexican cheese)
Sour Cream

Directions:

1. Prepare tartar sauce (mix all items together); refrigerate

2. Prepare pico de gallo (if not using store bought); combine all ingredients and refrigerate

3. Bake fish according to box

4. Prepare Yellow peppers

* Saute sliced peppers with butter and lime juice- remove from heat once tender

5. Prepare individual pitas

* layer bottom of pita with tartar sauce
* add lettuce and yellow peppers
* add 3 fish sticks
* top with pico de gallo
* wrap bottom in foil, if desired
* sour cream and cheese are optional toppings, once served


So this seems to be a little complex, but it's really not! The tartar sauce only takes about 3 minutes to mix, and the longest portion is waiting for the fish sticks to bake. I already had the pico on hand, because I made it a few days ago (or you can buy it in the store!). These were actually REALLY good, and I don't even like fish. TRY TRY :) Let me know if you do try it, and what you think. Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

Blueberry said...

it sounds good... unfortunately i'm the only fish eater in this house. and you and i both know that my husband won't try anything new!!
maybe someday when the mother-in-law is here... hmmm.