Thursday, May 31, 2007

From Surviving to Thriving

So, for the past couple of months I've been doing a study, with my mentor, on parenting. We've been reading a book by Charles Swindoll "Parenting: From Surviving to Thriving." The book has helped me in many ways look at parenting in a different light, and look at the way I was parented in a different light. It also helped me write and article for the women's magazine, at church, about my own testimony. However, I didn't really get the meaning of the book until I finished it up last night.

In one of the last chapters of the book, Charles focuses on Psalm 127, and the importance of its message about parenthood. It states:

Psalm 127

A song of ascents. Of Solomon.
1 Unless the LORD builds the house,
its builders labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchmen stand guard in vain.

2 In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.

3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.

4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.

5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate.


My favorite part of that passage is verse 3... What a reward I have received. The days have been rough with Adam, recently. Maybe he's sensing that his new brother will be here soon, or maybe he's just trying to grow into his own person. Who knows?! But how blessed I am to have a son, and to have another healthy one on the way. I can't help but wonder what the pain is like to lose a child or to not be able to conceive. Why was I blessed with a healthy child and another pregnancy? And why do others have to struggle to build their families?

Life Perspective

Dare I say that I feel a person's theology builds their home? Yes, I dare to say. I've witnessed, even in my own life, what it's like to build a family without any faith and without the help of God.
My marriage was a mess, before we decided to dedicate our lives to the Lord. I thought about leaving my husband and I thought about every selfish venture I could. I don't even feel that I took the Lord seriously, completely, until after Adam was born. I was a believer, and I studied the Bible, but I was still testing the waters outside of a Godly life. Since I've let go of the past and have moved forward in a Godly manner, the Lord has blessed our home and our lives in more ways than I can count. I am truly thankful.


*This is very preachy for me, but I will not apologize! I feel that God put this in my heart to share, and I pray that you will take this blog seriously and lovingly*




1 comment:

Our Family said...

That was sooo refreshing...thank you so much for sharing!!!

God is truly "Indescribable" isn't He? I love that song, we cannot truly understand His plan, but we're not supposed to, we are to put all our "faith" in Him. He will bless us in ways we can never imagine.

I'll have to post my testimony soon, I always think it's so encouraging to hear how someone else came to know Jesus! Thanks again for sharing :)