Monday, October 5, 2009

Quite the Weekend

Many of you who are my FB friend, already know what is going on in our home right now...but for those who don't we had quite the scare with Matty, this past week(end). Here's a briefing:

(excuse my grammar issues...I am running on very little sleep!)


Matty started wheezing, last Monday, and after having a rough night we took him to the pediatrician on Tuesday. They gave him a breathing treatment and sent us home with a nebulizer and a script for albuteral. We had to give him two total treatments in a two day period, took him back to the doctor on Thursday, and we were told just to keep an eye on it and we'd check back in a month.

Well, Saturday morning he woke up very symptomatic and CRANKY. As the day went on symptoms progressed and "flu-like" symptoms came about. He started vomiting, was wheezing very badly, and had a low-grade fever. Around 7:30, Saturday evening, I called the pediatrician and explained his symptoms. They sent us straight to the ER.

Once we reached the ER he went downhill- fast. He could barely keep his eyes open, he was gray in color, and was almost foaming at the mouth. It was VERY scary. They took him right in and found that his oxygen level was at only 85%. Needless to say, they moved VERY fast. We were rushed into an exam room, over fifteen doctors came in and they go to work. They gave him a breathing treatment and pumped him full of medicine. Overall it took them 2 hours to stabilize him well enough to really examine him. They decided to admit him and keep an eye on him for the night. They were unable to successfully stabilize his breathing, with what they were doing, so they sent him to the PICU for constant watch. They had him on a constant flow of albuteral and oxygen for most of the evening. They also gave him prednisone, via IV, to help build up his lungs.

Eventually he was able to go off of the constant meds and oxygen, but still needed a breathing treatment, every 2-3 hours. After he was off of constant oxygen and meds, we were downgraded to the pulmonary unit. We are now on an every 4 hour treatment, his oxygen levels are between 94-98, and there is only a slight wheeze in his chest. We are being told we get to go home today.

His doctor came in today and told us that he feels comfortable diagnosing Matty with asthma. We are going to have to do every 4 hour albuteral treatments and a daily preventative treatment (of another medicine). We are going to keep a close watch on this, and try to see if there's a correlation between Matty lacking weight, his eczema, and this asthma. Basically, we just need to figure out what his trigger is. OH- and pray...pray...pray... because the glory in all of this is to the Lord. We have been so blessed. We were blessed with amazing nurses, doctors, and people surrounding us. We prayed in the middle of the ER, with our pastor, and even in the midst of fear and anguish, the Lord was able to show us how much He is apart of everything we do. God is SO good and we are very thankful!

I think that about sums it up! :) We are waiting to hear what we are to do from here. We're just hanging out at Children's and feeling blessed and enjoying our little guy. :)

(Aunt Ashley edited this photo! Isn't it amazing?)

(Aunt Michelle took this with her phone! Cute!!)


jessicamarie12 said...

Oh how scary! Poor Matty :(

You know, I am very anti-H1N1 vaccine, but in his case it may be worth it since he is so fragile right now :( Poor babe!

Haley said...

I'm new here, I came from Elaine's blog (the MissElaineous Life).

Anyway, just wanted to tell you that I went through EXACTLY what your little man did this weekend off and on through most of my childhood. By H.S. things finally got better.

I will say from experience that there is most definitely a connection between Asthma and Excema.

I will be praying for you guys and if you have any questions or just want to talk about his health, I would be happy to. :-)

I spent half of elementary school in the Children's Hospital, and I know how scary that can I love helping others who are going through the same thing.

Maggie said...


So glad things are looking up!

There is a connection with asthma and eczema - the most common is a trifecta of allergies, asthma, and eczema. The nice thing is that if you have it as a child, you usually grow out of it (after causing much stress and worry for your parents).

Fire Hunt said...

We love you if you need us call. I like the photo Ashley did.

My Goodness said...

Praying for you guys...very scary!

Kelli said...

That is scary. I'm glad they acted fast and that he's getting better. I love the photo with the verse, much needed I'm sure.

Elaine A. said...

Oh Brittany, my Goodness! I'm so sorry you little guy had to go through that, and you too! UGH!! I'm glad to hear that you were blessed with wonderful hospital staff and that he is doing better. Many hugs to you all...

Christina said...

Oh my goodness, Brittany! I got some of the story from FB, but hadn't picked up on the severity of all this - WOW, how scary! Thank God that he is doing better now. Hugs to him, and to you, Mama!

Arizaphale said...

Same as Christina. I hadn't realised how severe the attack had been! Praise God he is coming good and for wonderful healthcare staff!

Maya Laurent said...

Oh girl I'm glad that he seems to be doing better. Praying for you guys.