Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Just One of Those Days

Today was not bad, necessarily, just... one of those days.

The day started out a little rocky, because we were running severely late for playgroup! We need to leave the house by 9:40 to get to playgroup by 10:00. Well, Adam wasn't even up until 9:15 and Matthew and I were sluggishly moving along. So, needless to say we didn't leave here until 9:50. We were still the first ones to playgroup. haha. Oh well.

Matthew and I had to leave playgroup early, for his 9 month well check, while my MIL came to take Adam for me.

Matthew's appointment went GREAT! He is a short little thing, though, and doesn't weigh a whole lot. He was a whopping 27 inches (10%tile) and 18 lbs (10%tile). His head, however, was 46 centimeters (75%tile). Just to put his size into comparison, at Adam's 9 month well check he was 2 inches taller and almost 3 lbs heavier! It really makes me laugh to see just how different they really are! I was very excited because he stood for the doctor for 5 seconds, all by himself! It won't be long before he's walking, so she says. He also passed his assessment with flying colors and she was very impressed that he talks as much as he does. (My kids are just brilliant... ha ha.)

A little sad news, however. Looks like his little clogged tear duct isn't clearing up, with the things we've been doing, so he's going to have to have it probed. YUCK. Apparently they take a small wire and push the clog through, all while under local anesthesia. The procedure itself doesn't scare me, but I just really dislike the fact that he has to be put under for it.

SO... we then came home to...well... craziness! Our street and all connecting streets were blocked off with large "Road Closed" signs and emergency vehicles everywhere. I didn't see smoke, so there wasn't a fire, but I couldn't see my house so I was VERY nervous. When I was finally able to get as close as possible, I found a fireman and found out that there was a gas leak. I wasn't allowed to go home; they had evacuated all of the homes and businesses in the area, and I wasn't even allowed back in to get my animals. AH! I was assured they would be fine, but I still felt bad leaving them in the house. Soooo Matthew and I went to my mom's and waited until someone called, to let me know we could come home. It was only about three hours, so it wasn't so bad. Pretty scary, at first, but not so bad in the end.... Plus, I got out of doing laundry today (yay!).

The best part of my day. Going to the grocery store. Not only did I get Matthew a cute hat. But just LOOK at what I bought.

I really think they need to think about the way they abbreviate certain items in the stores.

Oh yes, and look at Matt's new hat:

Congrats for making it through this ramble of a post. :) No reward, just a pat on the back for you! I think I need sleep; I am losing it.


Maggie said...

I love that hat - totally awesome!

At least you were already out of the house - I know it was a bit stressful, but I would think that being at home and having someone come to the door and tell you to leave right now would be even worse!

Fire Hunt said...

I would say that you had a bad day. Matthew's weight is the same as Gavin.(when Gavin was 9 month's)let us know about the clogged tear duct.

Law Student Hot Mama said...

Several thoughts:

1. At 6 months, my kid was 29.5 inches and 24 lbs. 10 oz. Now my best guess at 8 months is 30 lbs. and 31 inches. He's HUGE.

2. My kid has that same clogged tear duct problem! Oddly, it comes and goes with him. Every time he gets a cold, it gets messed up and then whent eh cold goes away it's fine. It's SO ANNOYING (I'm sure more annoying for him than me). I'm so scared of the procedure!!!

3. My kid may be huge, but he doesn't talk as much as yours does! :-)

Blueberry said...

hmmmm... you buy some interesting groceries! he he he!

see you friday!! :)

Elaine A. said...

I always feel like I am running late to play group too and then I am usually one of the first ones there...

My Gav didn't weigh much more than that at his 9 month check up. My doctor went and re-weighed him because he'd gone down in weight, percentile-wise.

Matt is adorable in that hat, but then he's adorable all the time!!

tricki_nicki said...

I kid of wonder about my kids and their size, too. My middle boy is so tiny, and it's more obvious because the other two are huge. Poor scrawny middle child. At least he's cute!

I sure hope tomorrow is a better day for you - tear ducts and gas leaks, yuck!

Angie said...

I remember how fun it was so see how big the kids were getting at their baby visits. I remember now NOT fun it was watching them get shots and get poked for blood when they thought my oldest may have allergies. I remember how NOT fun it was watching them get tubes in the ears, so I can relate to your tear duct issue. No fun.

HO sausage? umm, I can't even figure out what that stands for. I have been trying.


My Goodness said...

What a day! Gracious...I hope tomorrow is a little more calm for you...and get that laundry done, sista!!

Come see me...I tagged you for a simple little meme, hope you don't mind!!

Arizaphale said...

Gas leak! Scary! We had one at school once and we all had to troop out and sit on the oval for 90 minutes while the Gas Co did their thang. All except for a little Religious Instruction teacher who had come in without signing the book and was happily sitting up one end of the school on her own....wondering where everyone was !!!!! :-)
Poor ole Matty with the tear duct thing. And poor Mummy too!!!!

Stacy said...

LOL about the "ho sausage" - they probably do that on purpose! Glad the house survived fine - that would be scary. Matthew is adorable in his new hat, too! Sorry to hear about the clogged duct - I'm sure it will be fine, but that is worrisome regardless.

Kathryn said...

Wow, what a day! Glad it all turned out okay. We just had a gas leak in my state and a 100+ year old church exploded and was destroyed. I'm so glad the leak was contained in your neighborhood before anything happened.
Love the ho sausage!
Keeping fingers crossed for the little guy's duct.

Lynne said...

The hat is adorable and let me know how the ho sausage tastes!

kim said...

Is that a Meijer receipt? looks like one. So glad there wasn't something major wrong with your house/neighborhood.
My kids were the same way... Lauren was huge and Will's a peanut. We still haven't gotten him onto the charts for weight yet.

BusyDad said...

My favorite kind of sausage! Reminds me of when I worked at a record store in college. Corporate would label cassette singles with the song title and the first 5 letters of the artist's last name. The CC Peniston single cracked me up everyday, as the label on the package said "Keep on Walking, Penis"

Christina said...

I never would have guessed from pictures that your guys are so tiny! They look perfect. :o)
Sounds like quite the crazy day...but hey, you hot "ho sausage" out of it! Hahaha!