Thursday, June 12, 2008

7 Weeks is a Long Time

As you all know my siblings and I are awfully close. Well tomorrow (at 6:30 AM- to be exact) one of my "little" sibs is off to do something I'm not even sure I could do. She's leaving everything and everyone she knows, in order to serve Jesus. I am beyond amazed at her bravery, her willingness, and her attitude towards what she is about to do. She is going on a seven week missions trip across the United States and has a 67% chance of going to Mexico, as well. They will be serving those in need (in various ways) and sacrificing many of their own needs to do so. She will be riding in a bus, with no air, in some of the hottest parts of the United States (as well as some of the parts that have been hit so severely with tornadoes and flooding).

As she prepares to unselfishly go, I sit here selfishly mourning her leave. I've done nothing but cry at the thought of not seeing her for nearly two months. She has become, over they years, many things to me beyond being my sister. She is my concert buddy, my singing in the car buddy, my CSI partner (sorry we never made it to COSI, Ash), my candy eating cohort, black nail polish instigator, mystery book reader, Starbucks buddy (white chocolate mocha- I'll go drink one for you!), and truly a BEST friend. I never would have imagined almost 18 years ago, when she was the first baby I had ever held, and when I changed her little diapers, that she would become so important in my life or that she would become the woman she has.

She is a gem in this world. God's shining vessel. She listened to God's call, and she is following it.

And as James 1:12 says "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

May you receive many crowns for all that you do, Ashley.

Ticka, ticka, ticka, Baby... I love you (forever!!) ! :)


I'll miss you! Hurry home. Don't forget to use one of those 7 minute phone calls for your favorite older, but shorter sister!!! :)

15 comments:

Blueberry said...

i know you are going to miss her- she will miss you too i'm sure!
this is an amazing adventure that she is going on and is going to help her grow! it will be an experience she will never forget. it is going to be great!
good luck ashley!!! :)

Don Mills Diva said...

Of course you will miss her but your pride in her shines through in this post - lovely.

Tina said...

Wow...what a journey that will be!!
So awesome to see such great sisterly love.

Kat said...

Aww. This is such a sweet post. I can really feel the love you have for your sis.
Prayers for her safe journey!

Christina said...

Such a sweet post! What an awesome bond you guys share. May these two months fly by!

Kellan said...

What a wonderful cause - WOW - good for her. I'm sorry she has to leave, but she is definitely doing a good thing.

Take care - Kellan

JessicaR said...

Aww, you're going to make ME cry! How sweet. I remember when she was just a little thing too :) We are so old!!

Stacy said...

What a wonderful young woman! I pray that her journey goes well and I'm sure she will be a much stronger person at the end. What a great testimonial to her great spirit. :) Very, very sweet!

Unknown said...

What an amazing experience this will be for her, although I am sure it is hard to see her go. I wish her luck and we'll be praying for her as she ministers to others.

She's a cutie, just like you! : )

Anonymous said...

Sigh. I'm crying reading this. I know I don't get to see her as much and I'm not as close with her as you are, but man, I'm gonna miss her. And everything you wrote is so beautiful. I'm so proud of all my siblings!! :) Loaf you guys!

Fire Hunt said...

You just made me cry. That was a good post!

Sara said...

Will be praying for Ashley. And you. :)

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

DH's parents went on a 2 year service mission to Fiji. I was pg with my oldest at the time, due to deliver right after they left. I really wasn't thrilled about it, but they had such a great experience there!

Anonymous said...

I know you'll miss her but you know that she is doing an amazing thing! I can't wait to hear the stories she has to tell!

Rose said...

How exciting!! I'll put her on my prayer list. I've been on mission trips up to month in a foreign country - but two months, wow! And it's cool that it's here in the US, we need missionaries right here.

Awesome!